The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland was created by Andrew Carnegie on 7 June 1901, and was incorporated by Royal Charter on 21 August 1902.
The Trust was funded by a gift of US$10 million – a then unprecedented sum, yielding over £100,000 per year at a time when the total government assistance to all four Scottish universities was only about £50,000 a year.
The Trust was established “to improve and extend the opportunities for scientific research in the universities of Scotland” and to enable university attendance by “the deserving and qualified youth of that country to whom the payment of fees might act as a barrier”.
The Trust continues to operate a series of grant schemes fulfilling these same objectives, although with fifteen Scottish universities now in existence, the funds are much more thinly spread.
Since 1901 more than 100,000 grants have been awarded for research or in support of tuition fees, and many more staff and students have further benefited from the funding of buildings, libraries, residences, and other facilities.
Andrew Carnegie House
First located in The Merchants’ Hall, Hanover Street, Edinburgh and then in Cameron House, Dunfermline from 1992, the Trust moved to a new building, Andrew Carnegie House, in 2007.
The purpose built premises stand on the edge of Pittencrieff Park, known locally as “The Glen”, which Carnegie gifted to the town of Dunfermline in 1903.
Andrew Carnegie House also provides headquarters to the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust, the Carnegie Hero Fund and the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust, bringing all four UK Carnegie Trusts together under one roof.
The Carnegie Dunfermline Trust also owns and manages the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum.